I have mentioned before that I live in "The Center of the Universe," also known as Manchester, Michigan.
Manchester takes a certain amount of pugnacious pride in being classified as “a small town.” A very small town, in fact. Heck, we’re so small we don’t even have a fast food place!
But you might also be surprised at how much else this small town has to offer.
In past columns for “M” Magazine I have focused on the importance of supporting local events and businesses. And as far as naming names, I’ve really barely scratched the surface.
This time, I’m putting in a plug for the many services you can enjoy without leaving our little corner of Washtenaw County.
You can put your money with the financial institutions that run the appealing ad campaigns on television, billboards, and Facebook … or you can deal with one of our local banks where you’re more than just a number. You’re a person and they know your name. They might not be open 24/7 like the big city banks, but they have ATMs, Internet Banking, and plenty of other options to serve you wherever you are and whenever you need them. Best of all, you don’t have to deal with someone in New York City or San Francisco … or India … when you want to speak to a real person.
Need a haircut, color, manicure or pedicure? All of those services are available at the locally-owned barber shop and styling salons right here in Manchester. Some are open on weekends. Most of them accept walk-in clients. You may not get one of those $8.99 cuts you see advertised but the prices will be equally reasonable once you consider your travel time and the gas it takes to drive out of town. Once again, the people you deal with will be local and they want your look to be good advertising for them, so you will get excellent professional service. Call for an appointment, and I’m betting they’ll bend over backwards to get you in and show you what they can do.
And since I am on my blog instead of in the magazine, I can mention that my daughter works at one of those salons. Marti's Salon, in fact. 734-428-7616. And she's excellent (Sadly, my own hair does not always provide her the best advertisement ... but she tries very hard, and I'd look a lot worse without her help).
We have all made the acquaintance of Flo the Progressive gal, or the Geico gecko, once again through their entertaining ads on TV. I love the ads, too … but then I consider what might happen if I suddenly needed their service at a moment’s notice. Flo is probably getting her hair and makeup done for her next shoot, and the gecko … well, let’s just say he’s not going to show up and be terribly helpful. Adorable, but not helpful. You can choose to purchase insurance from a local agent. If you call during the day, you get a real person who probably knows exactly who you are. If you have an after-hours emergency, you’re invited to call the owner’s cell phone. To me, that’s comforting, and real “insurance.” If I need them, they’ll be there.
Doctors, dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, and other health care professionals are all available right here in Manchester. Most of them live right here in the community and take an active interest in what is happening on Main Street as well as inside your mouth, your eye, or anywhere else in your body. They have chosen to serve their neighbors here in their hometown rather than make it easy for themselves by joining a big corporate practice. Most of them are active in civic organizations as well, so they are constantly reaching out to help their community in their personal lives too. You can be proud to support these great people in their chosen professions, by seeking your health care locally.
You may argue that the price is higher when you shop locally. I still contend that once you figure in the time you spend getting somewhere else, the cost of gas, and the convenience factor, that you may actually be saving money by buying in Manchester. In addition, you help to guarantee that those goods and services will continue to be available here, where it’s convenient, friendly, and safe.
There are dozens of other business services that I haven’t mentioned yet—contractors, photographers, painters, caterers, printing and graphic design, automotive repair shops, floral designers, and a multitude of other small miscellaneous services that you might not expect to find in such a “small town.”
We have a wealth of talents right here in Manchester! If you live nearby, I hope you'll take advantage of them. If you don't, try checking out the resources in your own hometown. You might be surprised at what you'll find! And make sure you let these businesses know that you appreciate the services they offer close to home.
Trust me—they don’t hear that often enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment