They were here, and then they were gone. Just that suddenly.
However, looking back on the month of December I realize what a lovely season it has been in my life. Nothing earth-shattering happened. I didn't take any fabulous trips. I didn't get any really outstanding gifts (although I did receive many very cool and much-appreciated gifts). There were no extraordinary visitors (except, of course, Santa Claus).
Actually, we did most of the same things we always do, and some of those things we did a little differently this year.
I think that in retrospect, it was the simplicity of this holiday that made it so wonderful. A friend recently shared the Dec. 23 blog post from "The Yarn Harlot," Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, titled 'Enough.' And I have thought of that phrase so many times over the last few weeks ... even before it was shared with me. However, Stephanie has put my thoughts into words very well.
She wrote, "The dictionary defines enough as 'occurring in such quantity, quality, or scope as to fully meet demands, needs or expectations.' Clearly, since we live in a house, eat when we are hungry, drink when we are thirsty, put on clothes when we are cold ... obviously we have enough. Enough of everything. Where does it come from then, that feeling I have when I stand in a shop, holding a gift in my hand and thinking 'Is this enough?' or I bake a hundred cookies, and then stand there surveying the lot and wondering 'Is that enough?'"
Oh, yeah. I know exactly where she's coming from. For a multitude of reasons, I scaled back my expectations significantly this year. And therefore, I wasn't ever disappointed--in fact, I was actually overwhelmed in many ways. Because I do, indeed, have "enough." And then some.
I baked once, and only two different types of cookies. And it was enough. (We are still eating cookies).
I spent less time shopping, and consequently, less money. And it was enough.
We downsized our Christmas tree. I only put up 2/3 of our artificial tree, and only used the most special ornaments. And it has been enough.
What else did I do more of? I think--I hope--I gave a little more of myself this year to the people that I love most. And perhaps that is what was so satisfying. Maybe that is what makes me feel more content as I look back on the always-too-busy, never-enough-time, never-enough-stuff season.
May it remain so into this new year of 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment