I couldn't let 1/11/11 go past without any comment. OK, so now I've commented.
There you have it.
But that's really not what's uppermost on my mind these days.
I've been thinking a lot about the recent shooting in Arizona and pondering what this particular incident says about our culture. And our political system. And also about our media.
Evidently I was living in some kind of a bubble all day Saturday, because I didn't actually hear about the Arizona shooting until the 10 p.m. news came on. I hadn't checked my email or Facebook all day (gasp!). We had been watching movies all afternoon and evening. I had been happily finishing up a knitted Christmas stocking before we put away the decorations for another year. That pretty much summed up my day.
And when I did hear about it, I was dozing through the news and it seemed just like another passing tragedy. Which, in and of itself, is a rather sad commentary on our culture and our media.When I checked in to email and Facebook the next morning, I saw a plethora of posts that seemed to refer to something I should have been able to figure out, but couldn't. Why were people so angry and/or sad, and why was there so much vitriol in some of the comments on Facebook?
I finally plugged into an NPR report on the shootings and some bloggers' reactions, which led me to the "Tea Party" supposed connection to this whole sad affair.
But as much as the stories of those victims have touched me, and as much as I deplore the supposed "targeting" of those deemed too liberal for S.P. and her ilk, and the overall conservative political agenda in this country, and the hot political rhetoric on both sides of the spectrum, I can't blame the Tea Party or Rush or Glenn or Sarah, the NRA, the "liberal media" (where is that liberal media, anyway?), or any other group or individual for what happened. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of one person who decided to do this.
I can't begin to imagine what has been going through the head of Jared Loughner in recent weeks. Seeing his smiling face in a mug shot is disturbing. Seeing him described in news reports as "vacant-eyed" is confusing and distressing. Learning that he is the same age as my youngest son is very upsetting. What a waste of a young life. My heart goes out to his parents, who have to be wondering some of the same things that I am.
Already, I have heard, there is a "backlog of legislation" on Capitol Hill to "help stop this from happening again." Legislators are taking extra precautions for their security, yada, yada, yada. How secure is our new governor in his non-gated million dollar home near Ann Arbor? How great is it that the media publicizes that while more people with a twisted vendetta are watching?
Whatever. Legislation can't stop this from ever happening again. Whether it's laws banning guns altogether or laws allowing everyone to have guns for their own "protection," no one is going to stop the actions of one determined madman--or, shall I say, idiot. I hate to even taint those people who have mental illnesses with sharing the caliber of personality of this young man. (Absolutely no pun intended there). From my understanding at this time, it sounds to me like he had a legal license to carry a weapon. Obviously a big mistake in my book, but I can't do anything about it. Nor could anyone else. People will do what people will do.
Only a conscious decision to turn the tide from hate to civility, starting with you, me, and everyone else as individuals, can we ever hope to see a change. Let's take a stab at claiming some individual responsibility for events that happen in our lives instead of trying to find someone to blame.
Is it worth the effort on this auspicious day? The numerology link referenced here indicates that Jan. 11, 2011 can be considered as a "day of opportunity." Let's consider this: today brings an opportunity for us stop the hate; today we can start talking to each other instead of yelling back and forth across the room or the senate chambers; and today we can start to change the world for the better--or at least our own little corner of the world.
And hey, maybe it wouldn't hurt to turn off the news once in a while, either. I'm just sayin'.
No comments:
Post a Comment