Monday, November 29, 2010

Taking time for writing

Well, it's been more than a month since I wrote anything on my blog.

That's not exactly true. In response to a comment that I was sounding particularly cynical in my last blog (where I happened to mention in no uncertain that I was sick of election season garbage), I attempted, post-election, to dispel such a rumor. However, as many times as I tried re-working that entry, it still sounded like I was, indeed cynical.

Maybe I am. Maybe I'll actually get it published this month.

For the next month or so, at least until the holidays are over (and I could write another very cynical-sounding blog about Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and how closely our Season of Thanks is followed by the Season of Greed), I have decided to take a break from Facebook and concentrate more on introspection than on living vicariously by monitoring everyone else's statuses.

Of course, when I informed Facebook that I was planning to take a leave of absence, they immediately tried to make me feel guilty by reminding me of all the people who might "miss" me while I am gone. Hmm. My family and good friends ... maybe they'll actually see more of me now. But Facebook obviously sees this as a dreadful mistake and something that I want to think over carefully before taking action on it.

But as much as I've enjoyed Facebook, I know that it's an incredible time drain. I didn't list that as my primary reason for leaving at this time. I just said, "It's temporary. I'll be back." And I think I probably will. I probably will miss it. I will miss the constant contact with friends near and far. But I'll probably be on time for work more often. I'll probably spend more time reading real books.

I can't guarantee I'll spend less time at the computer, however. While not on Facebook, I will catch up on some overdue volunteer work. And get started on some paid work (amazing!) I'll still be checking my email obsessively. I'll definitely spend time writing my blog more regularly. And if you want to check on my "status," you can check it right here.

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment