Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Caveat Emptorium

Last night, David surprised me by bringing home corn, tomatoes and peaches from a local farm stand.

Even though I already had pizza dough in the breadmaker, I gladly refrigerated it for use today, so we could enjoy farm-fresh produce for dinner.

But while putting the so-called "home grown" tomatoes and peaches--yes, the guy at the farm stand made a point of telling David they were *home grown*--into a bowl, we discovered this on one of the peaches:

Dude. You forgot to take the label off. 

Well, we have learned over the last few months that there are farm markets and there are farm markets. I know that there are other stands that offer produce that is not-quite-but-almost-in-season, and if those farmers are honest enough to admit the tomatoes are from Georgia or Tennessee or Kentucky or Ohio, I will take that into consideration when making my buying decisions. But when you represent yourself as a local farm market, selling home grown produce and you are selling produce with a commercial label on it, it's a little hard to accept. Even if that label does say "Produce of Michigan." 

It makes you call into question how much you can trust those labels, or the people who put them there. (Who is "Greg," anyway?) At least, I question it. Then again, maybe I just think too much.

And you know what, those peaches didn't taste nearly as good as I had anticipated. They were, in fact, pretty hard to swallow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment