I don't know, but I have always been taught to respect other people's opinions (even if I know they are wrong!) The key to getting along in this world seems to be listening to others and trying to understand their point of view. Or at least, not being derisive if you can't bring yourself to agree.
But that seems to have flown out the window recently. It's very difficult to know what to talk about sometimes, even among friends. There are the traditional taboos, like religion and politics. But now there are so many more.
Health care reform. I guess this falls under the umbrella of "politics," since the whole debate has been 100% politicized.You can usually tell a person's position on that topic by whether they call it "health care reform" or "Obamacare." Those who refer to the latter usually are still talking about death panels deciding whether your grandma deserves to live. It's sometimes said with a sneer, or in those who have more tact, at least with a sigh. Like they are sure this is going to be the downfall of America. I would like to understand where they got these ideas. I'd like to talk to them and explain how it is to live without insurance or with sub-standard insurance. And how I believe that everyone deserves to be able to obtain affordable coverage and care. But it's usually a difficult conversation ... and I tend to avoid those whenever possible.
News coverage. I don't even want to discuss Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or FOX News. I just consider them overly-opinionated, under-informed, and pretty much the root of this whole polarization of what was once considered polite society. I suppose those who listen to what they say will have to agree to disagree with me. That's all.
But here's the kicker--When did food and the environment become hot topics?
It's bad enough we've got people fighting over whose fault the oil spill was. Was it the politicians' fault? Or more evidence of Obama being the Antichrist? Or whether it is corporate greed or all of the above. I hate to tell you ... but it's your fault, and mine. (http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/07/boycott-bp.html) There are also people doubting whether or not there is global warming, as evidenced by the fact that we still get snow in February. So Al Gore must be a nutbar. Hey, even Tipper thinks so. So it must mean that his conclusions are flawed, and there's not really anything wrong with our fossil fuel consumption or any of the other garbage that keeps getting pumped into our atmosphere.
But now I'm seeing people getting all offended by the thought that we might be affecting our health by the stuff that we put in our bodies. Well, duh. How long did you think we were going to be able to continue putting preservatives, antibiotics, artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners, unpronounceable chemicals, hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup, and a general assortment of Genetically Modified Organisms into our mouths and expect to stay healthy? Just because the government says something is "Generally Recognized as Safe" does not make it healthy. Think about it ... when has the government--or any government entity--ever really cared about anything except the money that they receive from ... umm ... drug companies, corporate lobbyists, and other dirty dealers? Do you think that they are ever going to care about real people, whether it is Joe the Plumber or Cathy the Organic Farmer or Marsha the Blogger? Just sayin'.
The point is, we are poisoning ourselves. If you don't believe me, look at your family, your friends, and your neighbors. How many have been diagnosed as diabetic? How many have had cancer? How many have "new" illnesses that have only been named in the past, oh, 20-30 years or so? Diseases like Fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's, Restless Leg Syndrome, or any of the multitudes of recently-discovered diseases, syndromes or whatever that you see advertised on television ... with the appropriate drug recommendations.
We do have a choice: we can make changes to our lifestyle. No one says it will be easy, but I think if we go back to the simpler diets that our grandparents and great-grandparents ate by necessity, we'd be a lot better off. Back then, long before it was trendy or cool, there were only "organic" fruits and vegetables. There weren't genetically modified seeds and chemical-laden pesticides applied to the crops. The beef and pork they ate was grass fed, because there weren't government incentives in place to encourage farmers to feed them corn mash, other animal parts and whatever else disgusting is put in cattle feed these days. The eggs were from free-roaming chickens who ate what chickens are pre-disposed to eat. People ate what was in season at the time--they didn't expect to get cantaloupe in February or fresh apples in June. There was no Jell-O, no Cool Whip, no Hamburger Helper (sorry, I couldn't resist).
Ultimately, we are responsible for our bodies, our minds, and ourselves. We can't trust the government, the doctors, or the guy next door to take care of us.
You don't have to talk about this in polite society ... just do it. And see if it makes a difference to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment